Don McLean Considering Retirement - Noise11.com
Don McLean, Noise11, photo

Don McLean

Don McLean Considering Retirement

by Roger Wink, VVN Music on March 19, 2012

Following the release of a documentary, ‘American Pie’ singer Don McLean considers hanging up his boots.

Don McLean

Don McLean

Don McLean has lived the life of a troubadour for fifty years, doing his first recording in the early-60’s while still in prep school.

Along the way, he wrote the pop classic ‘And I Love You So’ and recorded some of the most loved songs of the last half-century, including ‘American Pie’, ‘Vincent’ and a cover of Roy Orbison’s ‘Crying’.

In a recent interview with The Tennessean, McLean said that he is starting to think towards retirement but before going there, he has put together a new documentary, Don McLean: American Troubadour, that is airing on many PBS stations around the nation during the current pledge drive.

He told the paper “I’m 66 years old, and I think I’m going to retire when I’m 70, and do something else, or not do this anymore. I felt for my children, family and my fans all over the world, that it was time for me to put together, in one place, the story of my music, and the story of my life, which are basically totally intertwined.”

Check your local listings to see if your PBS station is showing the film. Also check out more on McLean at The Tennessean.

Read more at Vintage Vinyl News.

Comments

comments

Rory O'Donoghue
R.I.P. Rory O’Donoghue of Aunty Jack Fame 1949-2017

Rory O’Donoghue, the creative force alongside Grahame Bond for Australian hit 70s comedy The Aunty Jack Show, has died at age 68.

Scott Dorsey and Cat Stevens image courtesy of Scott Dorsey
Cat Stevens Caught Up With Engelbert Humperdinck’s Son Scott Dorsey In Brisbane

Scott Dorsey, the son and former manager of Engelbert Humperdinck, caught up with Cat Stevens in Brisbane this week.

The Village People performed at The Palais theatre in St Kilda on Thursday 25 May 2017. Photo by Ros OGorman
Village People Cover An Aussie Classic For Same Sex Marriage

Village People, the Ray Simpson version, have thanked Australia for winning the Same Sex Marriage battle by dedicating their version of an Aussie classic to all Australians.

Robert Plant, Australian Tour 2013, Noise11, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
Robert Plant Plays London #SETLIST

The Royal Albert Hall seems to be looking better than ever these days. Before Seth Lakeman took to the stage you could see excited revellers marvelling at the extraordinary space, it’s 5,272 seats defying its intimate nature.

Paul McCartney at AAMI Park Melbourne on Tuesday 5 December 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Paul McCartney Gets Some Bridge Work Done In Sydney

Sir Paul McCartney visited the old workplace of Paul Hogan on Wednesday when he climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

David Byrne 2009: Photo By Ros O'Gorman
David Byrne Sets Solo Dates For 2018

David Byrne fans are in for a treat next year as he mounts a solo tour that he is comparing to a classic Talking Heads trek.

KC and the Sunshine Band perform at Margaret Court Arena on Tuesday 12 December 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
KC & The Sunshine Band, Sister Sledge and Village People Turn Melbourne Into Giant Disco Ball

The Village People, Sister Sledge and KC & The Sunshine Band on the one show was like walking into a 70s disco time capsule.