Don McLean Considering Retirement - Noise11.com
Don McLean, Noise11, photo

Don McLean

Don McLean Considering Retirement

by Roger Wink, VVN Music on March 19, 2012

Following the release of a documentary, ‘American Pie’ singer Don McLean considers hanging up his boots.

Don McLean

Don McLean

Don McLean has lived the life of a troubadour for fifty years, doing his first recording in the early-60’s while still in prep school.

Along the way, he wrote the pop classic ‘And I Love You So’ and recorded some of the most loved songs of the last half-century, including ‘American Pie’, ‘Vincent’ and a cover of Roy Orbison’s ‘Crying’.

In a recent interview with The Tennessean, McLean said that he is starting to think towards retirement but before going there, he has put together a new documentary, Don McLean: American Troubadour, that is airing on many PBS stations around the nation during the current pledge drive.

He told the paper “I’m 66 years old, and I think I’m going to retire when I’m 70, and do something else, or not do this anymore. I felt for my children, family and my fans all over the world, that it was time for me to put together, in one place, the story of my music, and the story of my life, which are basically totally intertwined.”

Check your local listings to see if your PBS station is showing the film. Also check out more on McLean at The Tennessean.

Read more at Vintage Vinyl News.

Comments

comments

Tom Petty
Tom Petty Farewelled In Private Family Funeral

Tom Petty was remembered by his friends and family at a private funeral service in California on Monday.

ZZ Top, Melbourne, Australia, Noise11, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
ZZ Top Suspend Tour Over Tummy Ailment

ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill has a bad tummy.

Melissa Etheridge, Photo Ros O'Gorman, Noise11
Melissa Etheridge Hopes Drug Bust Will Lead To Discussion

Melissa Etheridge hopes her summer (17) drug possession arrest will help spread awareness about medical marijuana.

Elton John at A Day On The Green at Rochford Winery on Sunday 1 October 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Elton John To End 14-Year Vegas Residency

Elton John has announced the end of "The Million Dollar Piano," his second critically-acclaimed Las Vegas residency at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace. The final fourteen shows will occur in the Spring of 2018 with dates scheduled April 28 to May 19, 2018. Tickets go on sale Sunday, Oct. 22 at 10 AM PT.

John Farnham
John Farnham, Daryl Braithwaite To Spend A Red Hot Summer At Cockatoo Island

Red Hot Summer is heading to Sydney’s Cockatoo Island in February with John Farnham headlining a rock solid line-up featuring Daryl Braithwaite, Baby Animals, The Black Sorrows and 1927.

David Crosby, A Day On The Green, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
David Crosby Covers Joni Mitchell On His New Album ‘Sky Trails’

David Crosby has covered a 41 year old song ‘Amelia’ by his friend Joni Mitchell on this new album ‘Sky Trails’.

Jimmy Barnes Working Class Man
Jimmy Barnes To Take Working Class Man Sequel On The Road

Jimmy Barnes will head back out of the road with more stories and songs for the second edition of ‘Working Class Man: An Evening Of Stories & Songs’.