Paul Simon has gone back to the studio to make a new album with old songs.
‘Into The Blue Light’ songs date back to 1973’s ‘There Goes Rhymnin’ Simon’ and is as recent as 2011’s ‘So Beautiful Or So What’.
Four of the songs are from 2000’s ‘You’re The One’. “Darling Lorraine’, I thought, was one of the best songs I ever wrote,” Paul Simon said.
None of the songs from the album ever became hits. “The idea was to take songs that I thought were really good songs but didn’t get much attention when they first came out. It was very easy because the musicianship was extraordinary,” he said.
‘Into The Blue Light’ will be released on September 7.
Paul Simon, In the Blue Light track list
1. One Man’s Ceiling Is Another Man’s Floor (originally from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon, 1973)
2. Love (from You’re The One, 2000)
3. Can’t Run But (originally from The Rhythm of the Saints, 1990)
4. How the Heart Approaches What It Yearns (originally from One Trick Pony, 1980)
5. Pigs, Sheep and Wolves (from You’re The One, 2000)
6. René and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War (originally from Hearts and Bones, 1981)
7. The Teacher (from You’re The One, 2000)
8. Darling Lorraine (from You’re The One, 2000)
9. Some Folks’ Lives Roll Easy (originally from Still Crazy After All These Years, 1975)
10. Questions for the Angels From So Beautiful Or So What, 2011)