Suggs Kicks Off His Spoken Word Australian Tour - Noise11.com
Madness: Photo By Ros O'Gorman

Madness: Photo By Ros O'Gorman

Suggs Kicks Off His Spoken Word Australian Tour

by Paul Cashmere on April 20, 2017

Madness have just finished touring Australia and Suggs has stayed behind to perform his solo spoken word ‘Suggs My Life Story In Words and Music’.

“I’ve been a long time in this business. I’ve seen a lot of things,” Suggs tells Noise11.com. “I’ve had a lot of ups and a lot of downs. It was my 50th birthday recently and a rather strange thing happened. My cat fell off a shelf and died. It got me thinking about fate and all the crossroads and how different my life could have been. I thought I’d write a show about it. So I do a one-man show with a keyboard player and we deconstruct a few Madness songs. I just tell the particular story of how I got to be where I am”.

It was 40 years ago when Madness first appeared on Top of the Pops. It was a career-changing moment for Suggs. “I think Cliff Richard was on,” he said. “I remember even then being astonished at how much make-up he was putting on. It was pretty much like the 60s almost. The studio had three red light bulbs and one yellow one. It was a very lo-fi TV show but sometimes 15 or 16 million people were watching. It was a big moment. People talk about ‘when do you think you’d make a career out of it’ and it was that moment”.

Suggs will appear tonight in Sydney and then head to Perth and Melbourne.

Suggs My Life Story In Words and Music dates

April 20, Sydney, Enmore Theatre
April 22, Perth, Astor Theatre
April 24, Melbourne, Comedy Theatre

Comments

comments

Rory O'Donoghue
R.I.P. Rory O’Donoghue of Aunty Jack Fame 1949-2017

Rory O’Donoghue, the creative force alongside Grahame Bond for Australian hit 70s comedy The Aunty Jack Show, has died at age 68.

Scott Dorsey and Cat Stevens image courtesy of Scott Dorsey
Cat Stevens Caught Up With Engelbert Humperdinck’s Son Scott Dorsey In Brisbane

Scott Dorsey, the son and former manager of Engelbert Humperdinck, caught up with Cat Stevens in Brisbane this week.

The Village People performed at The Palais theatre in St Kilda on Thursday 25 May 2017. Photo by Ros OGorman
Village People Cover An Aussie Classic For Same Sex Marriage

Village People, the Ray Simpson version, have thanked Australia for winning the Same Sex Marriage battle by dedicating their version of an Aussie classic to all Australians.

Robert Plant, Australian Tour 2013, Noise11, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
Robert Plant Plays London #SETLIST

The Royal Albert Hall seems to be looking better than ever these days. Before Seth Lakeman took to the stage you could see excited revellers marvelling at the extraordinary space, it’s 5,272 seats defying its intimate nature.

Paul McCartney at AAMI Park Melbourne on Tuesday 5 December 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Paul McCartney Gets Some Bridge Work Done In Sydney

Sir Paul McCartney visited the old workplace of Paul Hogan on Wednesday when he climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

David Byrne 2009: Photo By Ros O'Gorman
David Byrne Sets Solo Dates For 2018

David Byrne fans are in for a treat next year as he mounts a solo tour that he is comparing to a classic Talking Heads trek.

KC and the Sunshine Band perform at Margaret Court Arena on Tuesday 12 December 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
KC & The Sunshine Band, Sister Sledge and Village People Turn Melbourne Into Giant Disco Ball

The Village People, Sister Sledge and KC & The Sunshine Band on the one show was like walking into a 70s disco time capsule.