Retaining his No.1 position on the ARIA Singles Chart for a sixth straight week is James Arthur and his ballad “Say You Won’t Let Go”, which is now 2x▲Platinum in sales.
And with only five more chart weeks of the year left, if James’ song remains at the top until then it will give the track eleven weeks at No.1, but with X-Factor wrapping up this coming weekend and the potential winners single hitting the top, plus the quick rise of the Mannequin Challenge(d) song “Black Beatles”, it might only be a week or two more for James (at the moment), but he is in the country this coming week plus will appear at the ARIA Awards this coming Wednesday too, so he might remain at the top for the rest of the year.
For the six weeks that James has sat at the top, The Weeknd has been patiently waiting for his turn up there, as his Daft Punk infused track “Starboy” is once again at No.2, now spending twice as long at this peak than his first number two hit “Can’t Feel My Face” (3 weeks from late July in 2015), and with the same-named album coming out at the end of November, plus two new songs released this week, he should back at the top somewhere soon.
Former No.2 (for two weeks) track for Calum Scott and “Dancing on My Own” again climbs back up a single place, this week to No.3 and jumping up three places is Swedish act NEIKED who along with singer Dyo (Ms. D) see their track “Sexual” climb to a new peak of No.4, making Australia its highest placing in the world (so far), beating the current No.6 position in the UK for this week.
After five weeks at No.3 (and nine at No.1), The Chainsmokers and Halsey are down two places this week to No.5, the songs lowest position so far (it entered at No.2 originally), giving them a sixteenth week (fourth month) within the Top 5. This past week “Closer” was finally knocked off the top in the USA after 12 weeks (their longest for 2016) by this weeks No.6 single here, “Black Beatles” by the brothers Khalif and Aaquil Brown who go by the name Rae Sremmurd, and here their Mannequin Challenge inspired track jumps up twenty-seven places from last weeks No.33 debut to No.6 this week. So of course if becomes the duos first Top 10 single and the first time since March 1996 that the word ‘Beatles’ has been seen in the ten, as back in mid-March “Real Love” by The Beatles debuted and peaked at No.6, plus its also the fourth song throughout Australian Chart history to feature the word ‘Beatles’, all the other were dedicated to the band, the last being a Stars on 45 track “Beatles/George Harrison Medley” (HP-73) in late August of 1981.
Little Mix were in the country this past week on a promo tour, plus they also made an appearance on The X-Factor on Monday night performing “Shout Out to My Ex”, which this week is down two places to No.7, and also dropping two chart rungs are Maroon 5 with Kendrick Lamar on “Don’t Wanna Know” to No.8. Bruno Mars’ third album came out on Friday, and the title track “24K Magic” is down one spot this week to No.9, whilst holding at No.10 for a second week are Nevada with Mark Morrison and Fetty Wap and their new version of “The Mack”.
* Guy Sebastian leaps up ten places to land at No.11 with his new single “Set in Stone”, becoming his 21st Top 20 single and if it peaks at No.11 it will be his third to do so after “Oh Oh” (March 2005) and “Elevator Love” (3 consecutive weeks in late Dec 2005).
* With Illy landing his first No.1 album this week with “Two Degrees”, the album’s second single “Catch 22” is up two places to a new peak of No.12 and now Gold (●) in sales, whilst the lead single, the former No.2 hit “Papercuts”, is only down one to No.30 and now 3x▲Platinum.
* Clean Bandit with Sean Paul & Anne-Marie leap up twenty-four places to land their third Top 20 hit with “Rockabye”, which is at the top in the UK for a second week too. This also becomes the third Top 20 for Anne-Marie, who is currently within the twenty at No.12, whilst her former No.7 track “Alarm” is down at No.42 this week.
* John Legend’s latest track “Love Me Now” originally debuted at No.26 six weeks ago, and after falling to No.53 last week it rebounds twenty-eight spots this week to land at a new peak of No.25, thanks in part to the songs video clip coming out recently.
* Jumping into the Top 30 this week are Zay & Zaylon with their track “Juju on the Beat (TZ Anthem)”, up nine places to a new peak of No.27.
* “Capsize” for Frenship with Emily Warren has been climbing well each week, but this week it is up one spot to land a new peak of No.31.
* Alessia Cara lands her third Top 40 hit as last week’s new entry “Scars to Your Beautiful” is up eight spots to a new chart height of No.33.
* Five weeks ago the second 2016 single for The Veronicas and “On Your Side” debuted and peaked at No.40, then quickly fell away, but after the new video clip was issued, plus their X-Factor performance and promotion around the country these past two weeks, the track jumps up twenty-four spots from No.63 to land a new peak one place higher than it’s original entry position, No.39 this week.
* Jonas Blue lands his third Top 50 hit for 2016 as his new song “By Your Side” (as opposed to the V’s On Your Side) featuring Raye is up eleven spots to a new peak of No.43.
* A third returnee to the Top 50 that also scores a new peak is new artist Rag’N’Bone Man whose song “Human” debuted at No.48 three weeks ago, fell to No.52 last week, and now this week it is back up six spots to land a new peak of No.46, plus some new remixes of the song were just released.
* Last week local singer/songwriter Amy Shark debuted at No.75 with her first entry “Shark”, which reverses its position by climbing eighteen spots to land at No.57.
* Love$ick for Mura Masa and A$AP Rocky is on hold at it’s No.69 peak this week.
* Another teaming in Galantis and Hook N’ Sling see the collaboration “Love on Me” jump up eleven spots to score a new peak of No.72.
* Camila Cabello and Machine Gun Kelly see their entry from last week in “Bad Things” jump up twelve to land at No.85.
* The second of four returning tracks at No.84 is Adele with “Hello”, whilst down the other end Alan Walker is back in at No.99 with “Faded”, potentially helped by an X-Factor rendition this past week, and returning to it’s former peak of No.100 from two weeks ago is Bebe Rexha with “I Got You”.
* Hailee Steinfeld is down three spots to No.13 with “Starving” (HP-5×2, WI10-10) which is the only dropout from last week’s Top 10.
* After peaking at No.12 last week Peking Duk drop back four to No.16 with “Stranger”.
* She has just announced that she has a new album ready to drop, and this week “Side to Side” by Ariana Grande (with Nicki Minaj) falls six spots to No.17.
* All four Top 50 Chainsmokers entries drop this week, with “All We Know” down four to No.20, last weeks entry for the “Collage” EP is down thirteen places to No.36 and down eight to No.48 is “Don’t Let Me Down”.
* “My Way” for Calvin Harris leaves the Top 20 for the first time, down four to No.22 after eight weeks within the twenty.
* Zara Larsson has a new entry, so the four places drop this week to No.24 for “Ain’t My Fault” isn’t so bad, but it thankfully picks up it’s first ▲Platinum certification too.
* Shawn Mendes still has “Mercy” within the Top 20, but his prior entry “Treat You Better” this week is down eleven spots to No.37.
* Mike Perry and his dance track “The Ocean” recedes down the chart seven spots this week to No.38.
* Betty Who drops out of the Top 50 with “I Love You Always Forever”, down eleven spots to No.53.
* After returning to the Top 50 last week, the Disturbed version of “The Sounds of Silence” falls back down ten this week to No.56.
* M0 drops down fifteen places to No.58 with her “Final Song”.
* “Cheap Thrills” for Sia is down five to No.63 this week and is newly certified 4x▲Platinum.
* After hovering in the 51-60 region for the past few months, Gnash drops this week sixteen spots to No.73 with his former No.1 “I Hate U, I Love U”.
* A new Cookin’ on 3 Burners remixed track has recently been released, and their first chart entry “This Girl” with Kungs is this week down twenty-four spots to No.83.
* Ed Sheeran drops out of the Top 100 with “Thinking About You”, and the crown for longest running current Top 100 single returns to Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars with “Uptown Funk”, which is down four to No.89 this week for a 105th week within the hundred after last weeks two year anniversary on the charts.
* twenty one pilots are down seventeen spots to No.90 with their most recent entry “Tear in My Heart”.
* Lady Gaga drops eighteen places to No.98 with “Million Reasons”, and falling out from last weeks Top 50 is Starley with “Call on Me” from No.47, the song is newly Top 15 in Sweden and just entered the Irish Top 50.
* #35 – I Would Like – Zara Larrson grabs her sixth Top 100 and fifth Top 50 entry this week, all of which have charted during 2016 (her first was a hangover from 2015), and if it climbs into the Top 20 it will be her fifth song to hit that chart section too.
* #45 – Hurt Anymore – Samantha Jade & Cyrus is a duet between 2012 and 2015 X-Factor winners, which the pair performed this past week on the X-F show, plus with Sammie releasing her first make-up line this week she has been doing multiple promotions for both the song and make-up, and this becomes Sam’s 15th Top 100 entry and the eighth for Cyrus.
* #49 – On Hold – The xx are set to release their third album “I See You” in the second week of 2017, and the first single from the album entitled “Oh Hold” becomes their second Top 50 and Top 100 entry at No.49 this week.
* #59 – Hallelujah – Leonard Cohen who passed away last Friday the 11th of November lands his first ever ARIA (or Australian) Charts entry with his 1984 released signature tune (now) “Hallelujah”, which also helps pull in the former chart entry by Pentatonix (HP-59, returns this week at No.74), plus the single has been certified Gold (●) from years of steady sales.
* #61 – Cocoon – Milky Chance are the German duo who return to the ARIA Singles Chart with their third entry “Cocoon” which is new at No.61 and follows on from “Stolen Dance” (HP-2, peaked June 2014) and the follow-up “Flashed Junk Mind” (HP-51 peaking there three times from late July 2014).
* #75 – Me and Your Mama – Childish Gambino will release his third album “Awaken My Love!” in the first week of December, and the first single from the album is new at No.75 this week becoming his fifth Top 100 entry in Australia.
* #95 – Surfin’ – Kid Cudi feat Pharrell Williams is the first of two tracks released from the upcoming sixth album for Kid entitled “Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin'” with the new set structured in four different parts, and the single not only features Pharrell but he produced the single as well.