Anyone thinking about attending SXSW in Austin, Texas in 2015 is invited to the first meet and greet events for Sydney and Melbourne in August.
While we just opened artist submissions July 8 for bands to apply to showcase at the South by Southwest Music Festival & Conference March 17-22 in Austin, Texas (http://sxsw.com) , we will open registration & hotels for SXSW 2015 early August.
We’re holding SXSW Meet ‘n’ Greet free events in Melbourne & Sydney (August 12 & 13) for music artists & professionals as well as those wanting to attend the Interactive and Film Festivals which precede Music March 12-16.
First up is Melbourne’s Corner Hotel 5:30 Tuesday August 12 (57 Swan St., Richmond) with an hour of networking drinks, followed by a panel of SXSW veterans and experts divulging tips & secrets with a Q&A until 9pm. And to kick it off, it’s Taco Tuesday at The Corner, SXSW’s favourite Melbourne venue.
We repeat the exercise in Sydney 5:30 Wednesday August 13 at the Newtown Social Club (387 King St., Newtown) with an hour of networking drinks, followed by a panel of SXSW veterans and experts divulging tips & secrets with a Q&A until 9pm. Both events are free and open to all comers. No RSVP necessary.
Our official travel agent, Brad Thomas of entertainment Travel Partners and a 10 year veteran of SXSW, will be with me at both shows giving tips on saving money, hotels outside the grid, direct flights to Austin via LAX or Dallas and much more. HHe is constantly unearthing great deals like this week’s Qantas SYD/LAX/SYD $1299 economy or lower business fares. So you have it, his email is email@example.com and phone (02) 9280 3767.
I’ll be at both shows but am available to answer any queries as the SXSW 12 -year representative for Australia, NZ and Hawaii. Email is firstname.lastname@example.org and phone (041) 22 666 77.
For artists wanting to showcase, the submission process starts with an online EPK application exclusively through Sonicbids for US$33 at http://www.sonicbids.com/find-gigs/sxsw/. The price rises to US$45 from September 12 and submissions close October 10. It’s best for Australian acts to apply early when listening committee members have more time to spend on international acts submitted before the last minute rush, making it easier to apply for state and Federal grants as well as US visas.
In its 29th year, from unsigned bands to indie and major label headliners, SXSW continues to be the premier music event that sets the tone and direction of the industry by introducing the hottest new talent, and showcasing the new directions and sounds of the most important musical acts in the world, while providing an ideal environment for bands to learn from and meet the music industry professionals that can help them further their careers.
For Australian artists, support is given for extra concerts, the Aussie BBQ all day event, networking breakfasts and other sessions as well as a stand presence in the SXSW Trade Fair exhibition through industry and government supported export body SoundsAustralia. Grants at state level are available and the Australia Council has additional funding support for bands and managers to attend SXSW. In the past decade more than 400 Australian bands have played at SXSW with many obtaining record and publishing deals, management, agency representation and festival slots as well as touring connections.
Registration and hotel reservations for delegates open early August at http://sxsw.com/attend
AUSTRALIAN STATISTICS FOR SXSW MUSIC 2014
51 Officially invited artists showcased out of 74 that were invited
6 Artists also played that were not official invitees
SoundsAustralia estimates all acts combined played over 316 performances at SXSW
21 Artists also played SoundsAustralia Los Angeles BBQ preceding SXSW
Over 240 Australian artists applied for showcases
STATISTICS FOR SXSW MUSIC 2014
* Music Festival Showcasing Acts: 2,371; International acts: 553 from 57 foreign countries
* Music Festival Stages: 111
* Music Festival Acts That Applied: 7,960
* Music Festival Participants including Registrants & Artist Wristbands: 27,991 (from 82 foreign countries)
* Music Conference Sessions: 214Festival
* Music Conference Speakers: 811
* Music Media in Attendance (approximate): 2,821
STATISTICS FOR SXSW INTERACTIVE 2014
* Interactive Conference Participants: 32,798 (from 82 foreign countries)
* Interactive Conference Sessions: 1,100
* Interactive Conference Speakers: 2,377
* Interactive Media in Attendance (approximate): 3,198
STATISTICS FOR SXSW FILM 2014
* Film Conference Participants: 18,747 (from 66 foreign countries)
* Film Conference Sessions: 200
* Film Conference Speakers: 566
* Films Screened: 133 Features; 114 Curated Shorts (from 6,494 Submissions)
* Film Festival World Premieres: 89; North American Premieres: 11; US Premieres: 8
* Film Festival Attendance: 72,035
* Film Media in Attendance (approximate): 2,084
STATISTICS FOR SXSW 2014 TRADE SHOW, EXHIBITS & PARTIES
* SXSW Trade Show Exhibit Spaces: 568; Attendance over 4 days (approximate): 65,000
* Digital Creative Job Market Exhibit Spaces: 53; Attendance over 2 days (approximate): 4,000
* SXSW Gaming Expo Exhibit Spaces: 193; Attendance over 3 days (approximate): 45,500
* Music Gear Expo Exhibit Spaces: 70; Combined attendance with Flatstock in 3 days (approximate): 43,000
* Flatstock 43 Poster Show Exhibit Spaces: 128;
* Official SXSW Parties: 127
Never miss a story! Get your free Noise11.com daily music news email alert. Subscribe to the Noise11 Music Newsletter here