George Jones was laid to rest on Thursday after a 2 and a 3/4 hour ceremony at the Grand Ole Opry house in Nashville.
Many, many performers paid tribute to The Possum, many singing church hymns but a few taking on their own songs that related to the proceedings or one of Jones’ own songs.
The most emotional of the day was a visibly shaken Vince Gill with Patty Loveless doing Gill’s Go Rest High On That Mountain (song starts at about the halfway point in the video).
Other performances during the service:
- The Old Rugged Cross – Tanya Tucker and the Imperials
- Amazing Grace – Randy Travis
- Farther Along – Oak Ridge Boys
- Why Me Lord – Travis Tritt
- The Best of Me – Kid Rock
- Go Rest High On That Mountain – Vince Gill and Patty Loveless
- Me and Jesus – Brad Paisley
- When the Grass Grows Over Me – Ronnie Milsap
- How Great Thou Art – Wynonna Judd
- He Stopped Loving Her Today – Alan Jackson