Moby Explains Why Music Today is Shit - Noise11.com
Moby photo by Ros O'Gorman

Moby photo by Ros O'Gorman

Moby Explains Why Music Today is Shit

by Paul Cashmere on May 5, 2019

Moby had one of those “old guy conversations” with Bill Maher this week and they discussed why music today is pretty ordinary.

“I’ve got Spotify on my phone and when I first got it I thought I would hear all this new music but immediately I began using it as my nostalgia machine,” Moby told Maher. “Spotify is basically my high school playlist. My musical tastes end around 1984. Modern music might be great but it can’t complete with The Clash or Public Enemy or John Lennon or Neil Young, on and on and on.”

Moby says he started doing what he is doing because he isn’t a good singer. “Originally I wanted to be a singer but I’m not a great singer so I had to learn to do everything else. I wanted to be Bono or David Bowie but my singing voice is mediocre”.

“But with Auto-tune no-one is a shitty singer,” Maher said.

“I do like complaining about young people,” Moby added.

Watch the full interview here:

Follow Noise11 on Twitter for news as it happens

For news as it happens follow Noise11 on Facebook

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, 2013, Photo By Ros O'Gorman, Noise11, Photo
Nick Cave Is Asking For Fan Footage For New Film

Nick Cave has requested fan phone footage for a new collaborative film.

David Rowntree Blur perform in Melbourne at Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday 28 July 2015. photo by Ros O'Gorman
Blur’s David Rowntree Releases Debut Solo Single

Blur's Dave Rowntree has launched his solo career with his debut single 'London Bridge'.

Guns N Roses perform at the MCG in Melbourne on Tuesday 14 February 2017. Guns N Roses are touring Australia on their Not In This Lifetime tour. Photo Ros O'Gorman
Guns N’ Roses Glasgow Show Cancelled

Guns N' Roses will no longer be performing in Glasgow, Scotland on Tuesday.

Macy Gray, music news, noise11.com
Macy Gray Under Fire Over Statements On Piers Morgan Show

Macy Gray has come under fire for making controversial comments about transgender women.

Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath photo by Ros OGorman
Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne Celebrate 40th Wedding Anniversary

Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary on Monday.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers Big Day Out Showgrounds Melbourne Australia Jan 26th 2013 photo by Ros O'Gorman
Red Hot Chili Peppers To Tour Australia

Live Nation has reactivated big time in Australia with a Red Hot Chili Peppers stadium tour in 2023 with Post Malone opening the shows.

Robbie Williams Heavy Entertainment Tour at Rod Laver Arena on Saturday 24 February 2018. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
AFL Snubs Australian Talent For Robbie Williams At The Grand Final

It appears the all-Australian talent performing at the AFL Grand Final was short-lived. The borders are open and the AFL has delegated Australian talent to the bench. Robbie Williams has been named to headline the AFL Grand Final for 2022.