How The Cars Music Impacted Following the Passing of Ric Ocasek - Noise11.com
Ric Ocasek

Ric Ocasek

How The Cars Music Impacted Following the Passing of Ric Ocasek

by Paul Cashmere on September 19, 2019

in News

The Cars have experienced a 3700% jump in sales in the 48 hours following the news of the passing of singer and founder Ric Ocasek, according to BuzzAngle.

In the USA, 6200 Cars albums were purchased in the first 48 hours of the news.

The biggest seller was ‘Complete Greatest Hits’ (3,551), followed by ‘The Cars’ (995), ‘Candy-O’ (444), ‘Heartbeat City’ (318) and ‘Moving In Stereo: The Best of The Cars’ (193).

Prior to September 15 The Cars catalogue sold a combined 29,000 albums in 2019. 88% of sales were digital.

The most popular songs were:

‘Drive’ (4,443 sales)
‘Just What I Needed’ (2,700 sales)
‘Magic’ (1,793 sales)
‘My Best Friends Girl’ (1,784 sales)
‘You Might Think’ (1,713 sales)

More than 1.2 million songs by The Cras were streamed in September 15. The previous week The Cars had 5 million streams.

61% of songs were streamed on video, the other 39% were audio streams.

The most streamed Cars song on September 15 was ‘Drive’. Across 15 and 16 September ‘Just What I needed was the most streamed song.

The Cars music was played 4,345 times on American radio on September 15 and 16. That was a 146% increase on usual play for the band.

Noise11 on Instagram

You’ll discover music news first following Noise11 on Twitter

Comment on the news of the day, join Noise11 on Facebook

Noise11.com

Listen to the Noise11 Music News channel now at iHeartRadio

Comments

comments

Related Posts

Todd Rundgren presents braille book to Library of Congress
Todd Rundgren Donates Braille Book To Library of Congress

Todd Rundgren has donated a braille copy of his book to the Library of Congress in Washington DC.

11 hours ago
Patti Smith performs her last Australian show at Festival Hall in Melbourne on Thursday 20 April 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Patti Smith to Bluesfest Perform Shows for Sydney, Melbourne and Christchurch and Auckland

Patti Smith says she had ever intent of her last Australian tour being her last Australian tour ever but she had too good a time and so she is coming back.

13 hours ago
David Furnish Drank To Escape Elton John’s Fame

Elton John's husband David Furnish hit the bottle because he could not cope with his partner’s worldwide fame.

19 hours ago
Angus Young of AC/DC. photo by Ros O'Gorman, Noise11, photo
Perth To Stage AC/DC Bon Scott Tribute on the Real Highway To Hell The Canning Highway

Perth’s actual Highway To Hell, the Canning Highway, will become the stage for a tribute to the city's most famous son, former AC/DC singer Bon Scott.

1 day ago
Ringo Starr By Ros O'Gorman
Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney Cover John Lennon’s Grow Old With Me

Paul McCartney has joined Ringo Starr for a cover of John Lennon’s ‘Grow Old With Me’ for Ringo’s next album ‘What’s My Name’.

1 day ago
Cold Chisel photo by Daniel Boud
Cold Chisel To Release New Album Blood Moon

Cold Chisel will release their ninth studio album ‘Blood Moon’ ahead of their Blood Moon Tour 2020 and a new song next week called ‘Getting The band Back Together’.

1 day ago
NeilYoung at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl by Ros O'Gorman
Neil Young Slips The Mountaintop Trailer Out Before Theatre Premiere

Neil Young has uploaded a trailer for his new movie ‘Mountaintop’ before the film head to cinemas around the world this week.

2 days ago