Actor and singer Mandy Patinkin has taken on songs by Paul Simon and Randy Newman as part of his new album ‘Diary: December 2018’.
The eleven songs were recorded by Patinkin with Thomas Bartlett in Bartlett’s New York studio last December. The album includes two songs written by Patinkin himself plus songs by Stephin Merritt (The Magnetic Fields), Biff Rose, Teitur, and John Grant as well as Simon and Newman.
The respected actor, who plays Saul Berenson in Homeland and has starred in The Princess Bride, Yentl, Dick Tracy and Alien Nation, will release ‘Diary: Decemeber 2018’, the third part of a trilogy following ‘Diary: January 27, 2018’ and ‘Diary: April/May 2018’.
In a statement, Mandy Patinkin said, “After thirty years my musical collaborator, Paul Ford retired. I wasn’t sure if that meant I would have to as well. But my dear friend Bob Hurwitz [of Nonesuch] introduced me to Thomas Bartlett, who introduced me to an entirely new way of making music … in his studio, hours of playing, singing, and recording, never searching for the illusion of perfection.” He continues, “We’ve decided to share our music making journey with you, in the form of a Diary. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for listening.”
Watch the Randy Newman song ‘Wandering Boy’.
Mandy Patinkin Diary: December 2018
1. Hearts and Bones (Paul Simon)
2. The Dance Lesson (Mandy Patinkin)
3. Nothing Matters When We’re Dancing (Stephin Merritt)
4. Wandering Boy (Randy Newman)
5. Molly (Biff Rose)
6. Playing House (Two Kids) – (Judith Holofernes, Teitur)
7. Mrs. Pelican (Mandy Patinkin)
8. Busby Berkeley Dreams (Stephin Merritt)
9. I Wish I Had Pictures (Stephin Merritt)
10. GMF (John Grant, Birgir Thorarinsson)
11. Quiet (Paul Simon)