Producer, performer, songwriter Steven Wilson has put many of his major and side-projects on hold while he concentrates on his own solo shows as well as remixing classic albums for Yes, XTC and King Crimson.
Wilson recently completed a 5:1 surround sound remix of the classic Yes album ‘Close To The Edge’, to be released shortly on Blu-Ray. He has also remixed XTC’s ‘Nonesuch’ and King Crimson’s ‘The Road To Red’, which means his own Porcupine Tree and No-Man products are on hiatus.
“Historically Porcupine Tree was one of several things I started to do at the beginning of my career,” Steven tells Noise11.com. “It was the one that just happened to take off. Porcupine Tree I did for 15 years and I want to work with different people but that doesn’t mean Porcupine Tree won’t still do something else together again. My answer is there is no bad news but there is no good new either right now. We’ll see”.
No-Man with Tim Bowness is also on hold. “No-Man has also been on hiatus as well,” he said. “I can imagine another time when I might do another record with Tim as No-Man but right now I‘ve said all the other things I’ve done I am not going to do for awhile”.
Wilson has been performing solo shows recently in Australia and will continuing his work remixing the classic works of Yes, XTC and King Crimson. “The solo thing is a new thing and I’m doing a lot of work remixing classic albums which I love doing and is new to me,” he said.
The new Yes ‘Close To The Edge’ release will feature:
• The original album in a new stereo mix on CD, appended by two bonus tracks: a new mix of the band’s non-LP cover of Simon & Garfunkel’s “America” and “an early mix/assembly” of the title track
• New 5.1 surround mixes of the album (DTS and lossless 24bit/96khz from original multitracks on DVD, DTS-HD 24bit/96khz from original multitracks on Blu-Ray) as well as the original stereo mixes, flat transfers from the original masters
• Bonus material in hi-res stereo, including single edits and studio run-throughs
• Blu-Ray exclusive material: new instrumental stereo hi-res mixes of the original album, plus a high-quality needledrop of the original U.K. vinyl pressing
Special packaging for each variant – a double digipak with slipcase for the CD/DVD-A and a mini-vinyl gatefold replica for the CD/Blu-Ray – featuring Roger Dean’s iconic original artwork (overseen by Dean for this new edition) and liner notes by writer Sid Smith with rare photos and archival material.
The new version of the album will be released next week (October 21).
Wilson’s new version XTC ‘Nonsuch’ is also out this month.
The CD features a completely new stereo album mix, including non-album track Didn’t Hurt a Bit.
– a 5.1 Mix of the album in 96/24 LPCM.
- original mix, and a new album mix by Steven Wilson, both in high resolution 96/24 LPCM stereo
– exclusive instrumental versions of all new mixes in 96/24 LPCM stereo
– exclusive Andy Partridge home demos and Colin Moulding work tapes for songs written for the album and contemporaneously.
– filmed footage of the band working on the album in Chipping Norton Studios.
– promo films for The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead and The Disappointed also feature on the Blu-Ray.
Watch the Steven Wilson Noise11 interview: