Wilko Johnson Talks About How To Beat Cancer LISTEN
Wilko Johnson photo by David Coombes, Noise11, Photo

Wilko Johnson photo by David Coombes

Wilko Johnson Talks About How To Beat Cancer LISTEN

by Music-News.com on November 22, 2014

Wilko Johnson was on the BBC Radio 2 Chris Evans Breakfast Show Friday morning and discussed his incredible recovery from terminal pancreatic cancer.

It was quite an emotional chat, check out the quotes below or click below to hear it direct.

At the beginning of 2013 the Dr. Feelgood guitarist was told he had 10 months to live and was at peace with his diagnosis before setting out to create his final album with The Who’s Roger Daltrey. Johnson said “…when Roger heard I’d got cancer he said ‘we’ll do that record’ and I said ‘we better do it quick!'”

Referring to what he believed was going to be his final year, Johnson said “I had a marvelous year last year, there’s nothing like the imminence of death to make you realize you’re alive.”

Johnson continues “And then right on top of that, the surgeons at Addenbrooke’s decided that they could have a go at this tumor, and they did.”

“I think it took about 10 or 11 hours or something and they took this tumor out of me. This tumor weighed three kilos, that’s the size of a baby. I’d been carrying this thing on stage with me all year, my guitar used to stick out. My guitar used to rock on this tumor. Rocking away like a rocker! So, no, I shouldn’t be here at all.”

Speaking of his recovery he says “It’s hard, steadily my health is recovering. I’m getting my strength and my weight back. The difficult thing now is readjusting mentally.”

more from music-news.com

Comments

comments

Bruce Springsteen and Max Weinberg at AAMI Park on Thursday 2 February 2017. Photo Ros O'Gorman
Bruce Springsteen Played A Benefit At The Stone Pony On Saturday

Bruce Springsteen returned to the legendary nightclub The Stone Pony on Saturday and played for two hours to benefit Boston College.

Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones image by Ros O'Gorman, Noise11, photo
Mick Jagger Solo Albums Remastered For Vinyl

Mick Jagger’s four solo albums have been remastered for a vinyl release in December.

Elton John at A Day On The Green at Rochford Winery on Sunday 1 October 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Elton John Concludes 2019 North American Dates … Australia Is Next

Sir Elton John wrapped up the 2019 leg of his American ‘Farewell Yellow Brick Road’ tour in Uniondale, New York on Saturday. Next stop … Perth Australia.

Pat Metheny
Revisiting Pat Metheny’s Classic Moment With David Bowie ‘This Is Not America’

In 1985 American jazz fusion musician Pat Metheny collaborated with David Bowie for the mind-blowing theme to ‘The Falcon and the Snowman’, ‘This Is Not America’.

Ronnie Wood, photo by Ros O'Gorman, the rollings stones melbourne 2014
Ronnie Wood Models His Mad Lad Video The Stones Ride Em On Down

Check out the new Ronnie Wood video for ‘Mad Lad’. He obviously liked The Rolling Stones ‘Ride ‘Em On Down’ so much that he has done his own version.

Timothy B. Schmit, Eagles - Photo by Ros O'Gorman
A New Timothy B Schmit Song with Sheryl Crow has Popped Out of Nowhere

Spotify has a new Timothy B. Schmit song titled ‘The Good Fight’ online this week. It features Sheryl Crow and apart from that, there is bugger all info about it.

Bruce-Springsteen-and-E-Street-Band-perform-at-AAMI-Park-on-Thursday-2-February-2017.-Photo-Ros-OGorman
Bruce Springsteen Releases Hunter Valley, Brisbane and Auckland Live Tracks

Bruce Springsteen has released a live recording of ‘Radio Nowhere’ from his 2014 Hunter Valley performance in New South Wales, New York Serenade from Brisbane and Loose Ends from Auckland, all from the 2014 Australian and New Zealand tour.