Beyonce Fails To Get Out Of Copyright Dispute - Noise11.com
Beyonce in concert in Melbourne by Ros O'Gorman

Beyonce in concert in Melbourne by Ros O'Gorman

Beyonce Fails To Get Out Of Copyright Dispute

by Music-News.com on July 28, 2017

in News

Beyonce’s lawyers have failed in a bid to have a copyright lawsuit stemming from her hit Formation dismissed.

The 2016 track features spoken word segments from the work of the late social media celebrity Messy Mya, real name Anthony Barre.

The funnyman’s estate, led by his sister Angel Barre, filed legal papers in February, demanding royalties, damages and insisting her brother be credited as a writer, composer, producer and artist on the track.

On Tuesday (July 25) U.S. District Judge Nannette Jolivette Brown denied Beyonce’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit on fair use grounds.

In a 66-page judicial decision, obtained by editors at The Hollywood Reporter, Brown wrote, “Plaintiffs have plausibly alleged in their complaint that Defendants did not change or alter the ‘expressive content or message’ of Anthony Barre’s YouTube videos.”

At this stage of the court case allegations made by the plaintiff are presumed to be true, and the judge found Barre’s lawyers made a plausible case that the song’s use of the clips in which Messy Mya says “What happened at the New Orleans”, and, “B**ch, I’m back by popular demand” did not transform the meaning of the spoken word clips.

Under U.S. copyright law, artists can sample the work of another if they can show their use has substantially changed its meaning.

The judge also denied Beyonce’s attorneys’ motions to dismiss Barre’s complaints of false endorsement and of flouting Louisiana’s Unfair Trade Practices Act claims. However she did dismiss a claim for unjust enrichment.

Formation, the lead single from Beyonce’s critically revered Lemonade album was a hit around the world and the 35-year-old star even performed the track at last year’s (16) Super Bowl event.

Messy Mya, who was also an aspiring rapper, died in 2010 at the age of just 22, after he was shot multiple times in New Orleans, Louisiana.

music-news.com

Related Posts

Eminem Stans
Eminem’s Lost Track ‘Everybody’s Looking At Me’ Surfaces on New STANS Soundtrack

Eminem has dug deep into the vault to unearth a lost cut from his The Eminem Show era. The newly released song, Everybody’s Looking At Me, has officially surfaced as part of the soundtrack to his new documentary STANS, now streaming on Paramount+.

1 day ago
Parkway Drive
Parkway Drive To Launch 20th Anniversary Tour With Berlin Concert

Australian metal titans Parkway Drive will mark two decades of chaos, fire and stadium-sized riffs with a very different kind of show. On 17 September 2025, the band will play a one-off warm-up gig at Berlin’s legendary Metropol.

1 day ago
The Weeknd $1 Billion Music Catalogue Gamble: A Bold Business Masterstroke

Abel Tesfaye, known worldwide as The Weeknd, is reportedly in early talks to secure a staggering US$1 billion financing deal using his music catalogue as collateral. The negotiations are said to be taking place with New York private equity firm Lyric Capital Group, positioning Tesfaye for what could become one of the largest music-rights backed financing arrangements ever for a single artist.

2 days ago
Taylor Swift at the MCG Melbourne 16 February 2024 Photo Credit TAS Rights Management
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Announce Engagement with Whimsical Wink

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have officially announced they’re engaged. Their joint Instagram post, captioned with the cheeky line, “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married”, was met with a tidal wave of adoration from fans worldwide.

2 days ago
Tom Curtain
Tom Curtain Releases Here’s To You Album and Announces National Tour

Tom Curtain has built a career out of telling the stories of rural and regional Australia. A multiple Golden Guitar winner, horseman, outback entertainer, and founder of the Katherine Outback Experience, Curtain is as comfortable in the saddle as he is on the stage. With his sixth studio album Here’s To You set for release on 22 August 2025 via ABC Music, Curtain once again shines a spotlight on the people, landscapes and experiences that make the bush what it is.

2 days ago
Secondhand Serenade
Secondhand Serenade To Return To Australia After 16 Years With A String Section

After 16 years away from Australian stages, Secondhand Serenade, the project of Californian singer-songwriter John Vesely, will return in December for three exclusive shows, this time accompanied by a symphony string section.

4 days ago
Cookin' On 3 Burners Press 1 2025
Cookin’ on 3 Burners Fire It Up With Cookin’ The Books

Melbourne’s deep funk heavyweights Cookin’ on 3 Burners are back with a brand new double-sided 7”, the first taste of their forthcoming studio album Cookin’ The Books (out October 31 on Soul Messin’ Records).

August 22, 2025