Sinead O'Connor Is Now A Muslim - Noise11.com
Sinead O'Connor (Photo: Tim Cashmere)

Sinead O'Connor (Photo: Tim Cashmere)

Sinead O’Connor Is Now A Muslim

by Music-News.com on September 17, 2019

Sinead O’Connor knew once she’d read the Quran that she’d been Muslim her “whole life”.

On Monday, the 52-year-old, who has adopted the name Shuhada’ Davitt since converting to Islam but uses her given name professionally, appeared on U.K. TV show Good Morning Britain and discussed her religious conversion.

“In Islam you don’t call it conversion, you call it reversion, the idea is you were born Muslim in the first place, any person with any logic would realise they were Muslim all along. So that’s actually what happened to me,” she explained. “As soon as I read chapter 2 (of the Quran) I was like, oh my god I’ve been a Muslim my whole life and didn’t even realise it.”

And speaking of the reaction from other Muslims, Sinead confirmed it had been “very nice”, and added: “Muslims are lovely people, Muslims are very tender and very loving people, despite what anyone may think. You’re a sister.”

Asked if she’s experienced prejudice, the singer admitted it did make her angry at first but now she laughs it off.

“Oh yeah, it makes me laugh. It actually makes me laugh,” she said. “I suppose I’m used to (it) as a woman, and as a bit of a controversial woman, I’m used to putting up with abuse. In a strange way it makes me proud, I can’t really explain why, if somebody hates me because I’m a Muslim I stand up a bit taller actually.”

The singer also revisited the shocking claims she has made about late icon Prince, who wrote and composed her hit Nothing Compares 2 U, alleging he tried to “punch her” as she spat at him in an explosive row.

Prince died of an accidental fentanyl overdose at the age of 57 at his Paisley Park home in April 2016.

music-news.com

Noise11 on Instagram

You’ll discover music news first following Noise11 on Twitter

Comment on the news of the day, join Noise11 on Facebook

Comments

comments

Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen Posthumously Inducted Into BBC Folk Hall of Fame

Leonard Cohen was posthumously inducted into the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards Hall Of Fame on Wednesday night (16.10.19).

The Screaming Jets
The Screaming Jets Have Two Final Shows For 2020

The Screaming Jets will round out 2019 with two final shows finishing off their ‘Dirty Thirty … The 30th Anniversary Year’.

Toto
Steve Lukather says Toto are breaking up after 40 years

Toto founder Steve Lukather has talking about the end of the iconic band saying the last show on the 40th anniversary tour will be their last. However, he also doesn’t write off a later reformation.

Alex Smith The Voice Of Moving Pictures Has a Few Solo Shows Around Melbourne This Weekend

Alex Smith, lead singer of Moving Pictures, is Flying Solo with his own shows this weekend in Melbourne, then next week in Sydney and Newcastle.

Elton John and his Band perform in Melbourne at Rod Laver Arena on Friday 11 December 2015. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Elton John Supports Duke and Duchess Legal Fight With UK Tabloid

Elton John is heaping praise on Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex for fighting back against unprofessional press tactics and suing Britain's Associated Newspapers bosses.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac performs at ADOTG at Mt Duneed Winery on 7 November 2015. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Fleetwood Mac Ruled Out Of Glastonbury

Back in June, Mick Fleetwood hinted that the band would be performing when he told the crowd at the group's London concert that they still had a "big field to play at a rained out festival in England", but negotiations between Fleetwood Mac and Glastonbury have reportedly broken down over finances.

Def Leppard, Noise11.com, music-news.com
Def Leppard’s Viv Campbell Undergoes Spine Surgery

Def Leppard guitarist Viv Campbell went under the knife last week and has spent the past few days resting with an ice pack on his back to aid his recovery, but is determined to push through with his upcoming scheduled performances nonetheless.