Carly Simon Says How She Wrote ‘Anticipation’ About Cat Stevens - Noise11.com
Carly Simon

Carly Simon

Carly Simon Says How She Wrote ‘Anticipation’ About Cat Stevens

by Paul Cashmere on October 31, 2016

Carly Simon says her classic ‘Anticipation’ was inspired and written about Cat Stevens while she was waiting for him to come to her house for dinner.

Carly Simon’s very first gig was as support to Cat Stevens at The Troubadour in West Hollywood. Carly says she learned to harmonise to the songs.

In a new interview with Dan Rather, Simon said “I invited him to come to my apartment when we were going to play Carnegie Hall together. It was about 7 o’clock when he supposed to arrive and he hadn’t arrived yet. I was so nervous that the chicken wasn’t cooked and the cherries would have melted. I picked up the guitar. I had to fill my brain with something. I pretended I was Cat Stevens. I started out with very Cat Stevensy chords, very abrupt. I was so stuck in the moment of being fearful so as a lesson to myself I said: “but we can never know about the days to come”. I didn’t know when the door-bell was going to ring. I liked that. It was all of a sudden a quarter to eight and I had written the whole song.

Dan Rather will interview Carly Simon for The Big Interview on ASX TV in the USA 1 November.

Comments

comments

Brian Johnson AC/DC Etihad Stadium, Rock Or Bust World Tour. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Nick Mason Takes Brian Johnson For A Ride In His £40m Ferrari

Nick Mason of Pink Floyd owns a £40m Ferrari and AC/DC’s Brian Johnson got a ride in it.

Paul McCartney stamps
Paul McCartney To Be Featured In UK Stamp Series

Ever wanted to lick the back of Paul McCartney’s head? Well now you can with a new stamp series coming from the UK’s Royal Mail.

Richard Clapton at Bakehouse photo by Ros O'Gorman
Richard Clapton To Take Music Is Love On Tour

With the absence of international tours, Australian artists are upscaling to some of their biggest tours in years. Richard Clapton has announced his Music Is Love Australian tour, taking him to major venues across Australia’s biggest cities including Melbourne’s Palais Theatre and Brisbane’s QPAC.

The Rolling Stones, Ros O'Gorman photographer, Rod Laver Arena
Ronnie Wood Becomes Ambassador for Turn Up For Recovery

Ronnie Wood is the new ambassador for Turn Up For Recovery, a charity supporting the recovery of addicts.

Bruce Springsteen photo by Ros O'Gorman
Bruce Springsteen To Receive Woody Guthrie Prize

Bruce Springsteen is set to be honoured with the Woody Guthrie prize.

David Greenfield of The Stranglers
The Stranglers Honor Dave Greenfield

The Stranglers pay tribute to late keyboard player Dave Greenfield on their new album, 'Dark Matters'.

Fabulous Caprettos
Meet The Fabulous Caprettos, Australia’s Newest Supergroup

Introducing The Fabulous Caprettos, Australia’s newest supergroup featuring Daryl Braithwaite, Russell Morris, Jack Jones of Southern Sons and Rai Thistlethwayte of Thirsty Merc.