Jared Leto say that the 4th 30 Seconds To Mars album nearly didn’t happen because being sued by their former record label nearly destroyed them.
“The last record we had quite a few problems,” Jared tells Noise11. “We battled our record company. They sued us for $30 million. We made a film about it called Artifact, a documentary that is coming out later this summer”.
The $30 million figure would have wiped them out. “It was mind-blowing, The number was too big to conceptualise it but it was very real,” he said. “Not only was there the financial risk at stake but there was the risk of losing our careers. We felt we had an important and just fight. I am glad we stood up for what we believed in. Ultimately we were victorious and we are here. The story went exactly as it was supposed too”.
After the case was dismissed, 30 Seconds To Mars started work on their latest album ‘Love Lust Faith + Dreams’. “This album was really great. It was wonderful to make an album without the pressures of battling an entire industry,” Jared says. “We had been on the road for two and a half years and played far too many shows but we learned a lot and we took what we learned back into the studio”.
‘Love Lust Faith + Dream’ will be released in Australia this Friday and in the USA next Tuesday, May 21st.
Stay updated with your free Noise11 daily music newsletter. Subscribe to Noise11 Music News here
Watch the Noise11 interview with Jared Leto of 30 Seconds To Mars here: