Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement - Noise11.com
Aretha Franklin, Noise11, Photo

Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement

by Roger Wink, VVN Music on February 10, 2017

One of the greatest singers in history, Aretha Franklin, has announced her retirement.

Franklin talked with WDIV in Detroit, telling them “I must tell you, I am retiring this year. This will be my last year. I will be recording, but this will be my last year in concert. This is it.

“I feel very, very enriched and satisfied with respect to where my career came from, and where it is now. I’ll be pretty much satisfied, but I’m not going to go anywhere and just sit down and do nothing. That wouldn’t be good either.”

She did go on to say that she would still do “some select things” but her grandchildren are preparing for college and she wants the time to spend with them.

There is a new album coming later this year with Stevie Wonder producing a few tracks. “There’s only one Stevie, right?”

Aretha’s recording career started in 1956 with Songs of Faith and, after a number of jazz releases, moved to soul music with her breakthrough 1967 hit I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You). she had 17 top ten hits on the Hot 100 and, on the R&B singles, 52 top tens and twenty number 1’s. From 1968 to 1975, she won a record eight straight Grammy Awards for Female R&B Vocal Performance.

vvnmusic.com

Comments

comments

The Rolling Stones On Air
The Rolling Stones To Release Historic Radio Recordings

The Rolling Stones have compiled historic radio recordings from their early days to be released as ‘On Air’ in December.

Dolly Parton - Photo By Ros O'Gorman
Dolly Parton Donates Money And Books To Hurricane Victims

Country superstar Dolly Parton is donating money and books to aid people living in areas affected by the recent hurricanes.

Tom Jones, Forum theatre Melbourne 2014, photo Ros O'Gorman
Tom Jones Recently Had Hip Surgery

Sir Tom Jones is enjoying his "bionic" new hip after undergoing replacement surgery.

Marina Prior, Photo Ros O'Gorman
Marina Prior Joins Cast Of Dream Lover

Marina Prior, one of Australia’s greatest musical theatre performers of the 21st century, will join the cast of ‘Dream Lover – The Bobby Darin Musical’ for the Melbourne season in December.

David Crosby, A Day On The Green, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
David Crosby Covers Joni Mitchell On His New Album ‘Sky Trails’

David Crosby has covered a 41 year old song ‘Amelia’ by his friend Joni Mitchell on this new album ‘Sky Trails’.

Dolly Parton - Photo By Ros O'Gorman
Dolly Parton Makes $1m Donation To Children’s Hospital

Global superstar Dolly Parton, whose first children’s album, I Believe In You, released yesterday (October 13) on Dolly Records/RCA Nashville, could have been anywhere on the day her album releaseed, but she wanted to be in Nashville with kids and their families at Monroe Carell Jr. Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital.

Angus Young AC/DC Etihad Stadium, Rock Or Bust World Tour. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Angus Young Drops In On A Rolling Stones Gig

AC/DC’s Angus Young caught up with Keith Richards at the Rolling Stones gig in Dusseldorf this week but it was a social visit only.

October 10, 2017