Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement - Noise11.com
Aretha Franklin, Noise11, Photo

Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement

by Roger Wink, VVN Music on February 10, 2017

One of the greatest singers in history, Aretha Franklin, has announced her retirement.

Franklin talked with WDIV in Detroit, telling them “I must tell you, I am retiring this year. This will be my last year. I will be recording, but this will be my last year in concert. This is it.

“I feel very, very enriched and satisfied with respect to where my career came from, and where it is now. I’ll be pretty much satisfied, but I’m not going to go anywhere and just sit down and do nothing. That wouldn’t be good either.”

She did go on to say that she would still do “some select things” but her grandchildren are preparing for college and she wants the time to spend with them.

There is a new album coming later this year with Stevie Wonder producing a few tracks. “There’s only one Stevie, right?”

Aretha’s recording career started in 1956 with Songs of Faith and, after a number of jazz releases, moved to soul music with her breakthrough 1967 hit I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You). she had 17 top ten hits on the Hot 100 and, on the R&B singles, 52 top tens and twenty number 1’s. From 1968 to 1975, she won a record eight straight Grammy Awards for Female R&B Vocal Performance.

vvnmusic.com

Comments

comments

Lisa Marie Presley
Police Confirm Presley Family Investigated For Child Abuse

Police officers in Beverly Hills have confirmed they received child abuse allegations relating to Lisa Marie Presley's family last summer.

Clyde Stubblefield
R.I.P. Clyde Stubblefield Drummer For James Brown 1943-2017

U.S. drummer Clyde Stubblefield, best known for his work with James Brown, has died from liver failure at the age of 73.

Joan Baez, noise11.com. music news
Joan Baez, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Indigo Girls Announce US Tour

The "Four Voices Tour" featuring Joan Baez, Mary Chapin Carpenter and the Indigo Girls is set for the US in June.

Walter Junie Morrison
R.I.P. Walter ‘Junie’ Morrison of Ohio Players 1954-2017

Walter "Junie" Morrison, who left his musical mark on both the Ohio Players and Parliament-Funkadelic, has died at the age of 62.

Moody Blues Days of Future Past 50
Moody Blues To Mark 50th Anniversary Of Day Of Future Passed With Tour

The Moody Blues will return to North America in June and July to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of their album Days of Future Passed.

kd lang photo by Ros O'Gorman, Noise11, photo
Why The Rolling Stones Gave k.d. lang A Songwriting Credit

k.d. lang will celebrate the 25th anniversary of her international hit album ‘Ingénue’ with the Ingénue Redux Tour in Australia in July and one of the songs on that album inspired a Rolling Stones song.

Noel Paul Stookey
Watch Noel Paul Stookey Sing ‘Impeachable’ For The Demagogue

There have been many angry and pointed songs written about Donald Trump over the last year but not many that fall into the realm of "gentle standard".