Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement - Noise11.com
Aretha Franklin, Noise11, Photo

Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement

by Roger Wink, VVN Music on February 10, 2017

One of the greatest singers in history, Aretha Franklin, has announced her retirement.

Franklin talked with WDIV in Detroit, telling them “I must tell you, I am retiring this year. This will be my last year. I will be recording, but this will be my last year in concert. This is it.

“I feel very, very enriched and satisfied with respect to where my career came from, and where it is now. I’ll be pretty much satisfied, but I’m not going to go anywhere and just sit down and do nothing. That wouldn’t be good either.”

She did go on to say that she would still do “some select things” but her grandchildren are preparing for college and she wants the time to spend with them.

There is a new album coming later this year with Stevie Wonder producing a few tracks. “There’s only one Stevie, right?”

Aretha’s recording career started in 1956 with Songs of Faith and, after a number of jazz releases, moved to soul music with her breakthrough 1967 hit I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You). she had 17 top ten hits on the Hot 100 and, on the R&B singles, 52 top tens and twenty number 1’s. From 1968 to 1975, she won a record eight straight Grammy Awards for Female R&B Vocal Performance.

vvnmusic.com

Comments

comments

Johnny Hallyday
Over One Million French Fans Grieve Johnny Hallyday

Late rocker Johnny Hallyday's funeral caused gridlock in Paris, France on Saturday (09Dec17) as more than a million people grieved for their national treasure.

Paul McCartney at AAMI Park Melbourne on Tuesday 5 December 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
40 McCartney and 47 Beatles Songs Paul McCartney Could Have Played But Didn’t

Paul McCartney’s Perth and first Melbourne show featured a 40 song setlist of Beatles and McCartney solo classic.

JIMI HENDRIX Both Sides of the Sky
Rare Recordings Of Stephen Stills And Jimi Hendrix Together To Be Released

Songs from a 1969 Jimi Hendrix session featuring Stephen Stills will be officially released for the first time on the third of the Hendrix rarity trilogies ‘Both Sides of the Sky’.

Rick Parfitt Status Quo performing at Deni Bluesfest in Deniliquin on Sunday 31 March 2013. Photo by Ros O'Gorman http://www.noise11.com
Rick Parfitt Posthumous Solo Album Is On The Way

The solo debut for Status Quo’s Rick Parfitt will be released posthumously in March.

Jim Keays
The Art of Jim Keays Is Available Worldwide On New Website

Karin Keays, the wife of Masters Apprentices singer Jim Keays, has launched a website to make available Jim’s original artwork to fans worldwide.

Paul McCartney Plays Melbourne For The First Time In 24 Years REVIEW

The thing is when you go to a Paul McCartney show and hear Beatles songs you are mostly hearing Beatles songs that The Beatles never performed live. The Beatles stopped performing live after the ‘Rubber Soul’ album. (Yes, ‘Revolver’ was released a few weeks before their last ever show but they didn’t perform any of it at their final shows.)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, The Plenary, Melbourne, Australia, Noise11, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
Neil Young Opens His Archives For Fans

Possibly the single most extensive archive of audio material ever assembled for a single artist opened for business on Friday and it's free to all (at least for now).

December 4, 2017