Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement - Noise11.com
Aretha Franklin, Noise11, Photo

Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin Announces Her Retirement

by Roger Wink, VVN Music on February 10, 2017

One of the greatest singers in history, Aretha Franklin, has announced her retirement.

Franklin talked with WDIV in Detroit, telling them “I must tell you, I am retiring this year. This will be my last year. I will be recording, but this will be my last year in concert. This is it.

“I feel very, very enriched and satisfied with respect to where my career came from, and where it is now. I’ll be pretty much satisfied, but I’m not going to go anywhere and just sit down and do nothing. That wouldn’t be good either.”

She did go on to say that she would still do “some select things” but her grandchildren are preparing for college and she wants the time to spend with them.

There is a new album coming later this year with Stevie Wonder producing a few tracks. “There’s only one Stevie, right?”

Aretha’s recording career started in 1956 with Songs of Faith and, after a number of jazz releases, moved to soul music with her breakthrough 1967 hit I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You). she had 17 top ten hits on the Hot 100 and, on the R&B singles, 52 top tens and twenty number 1’s. From 1968 to 1975, she won a record eight straight Grammy Awards for Female R&B Vocal Performance.

vvnmusic.com

Comments

comments

Mick Jagger, photo by Ros O'Gorman, the rolling stones, melbourne 2014
The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism Heads To Nashville Before Sydney

The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism exhibit will head to Nashville from March 29 before being packed up and shipped off to Australia.

Led Zeppelin 2012
Jimmy Page Confirms A New Live Led Zeppelin Album Is Coming

Jimmy Page has said to get ready for live music from Led Zeppelin.

The Who, Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend . Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Classic The Who Concert Could Become A Live Album

It appears that there is a new archive live album from The Who coming on April 20.

Steve Miller Band perform at the Deni Blues and Roots Festival. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Steve Miller and Peter Frampton Team For US Tour

Classic rockers the Steve Miller Band and Peter Frampton must have had a lot of fun together last summer because they are on the road again in 2018 with another co-headlining trek.

Chicago VI Decades Live
Chicago To Release 5CD of Historic Live Tracks

Chicago has always been known as a great live band but their live catalog is woefully small for a group that has been around for almost fifty years.

Vic Damone
R.I.P. Vic Damone 1928-2018

One of the very best of the crooners to come in the wake of the Sinatra craze, Vic Damone, has died after suffering respiratory failure on Sunday (February 11) in Miami Beach at the age of 89.

Cher, Image, Rod Laver, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
Panic Room Alarm Triggered At Cher Estate

Police officials swarmed Cher's home in Malibu, California on Sunday afternoon (11Feb18) after someone accidentally triggered the star's panic alarm.