Arlo Guthrie Retires From Touring - Noise11.com
Arlo Guthrie

Arlo Guthrie Retires From Touring

by Paul Cashmere on October 25, 2020

Folk legend Arlo Guthrie has retired from performing after a year that started with a stroke and continued with Covid.

In a letter to fans Arlo says “I reached the difficult decision that touring and stage shows are no longer possible”.

Around this time last year he said he was rushed to hospital. “They kept me there for 3 days, running tests of all kinds, and essentially informed me that I’d suffered a stroke”.

Arlo has re-evaluated his twilight years. “I’m happy, healthy and good to go, even if I’m not going anywhere. I’ve taken back 6-9 months that I used to spend on the road, and enjoying myself with Marti, my family and friends. In short – Gone Fishing”.

Read Arlo’s full statement here:

Arlo Guthrie’s best known song is the 18 minute epic ‘Alice’s Restaurant Massacre’.

In 1970 scored a Top 40 hit in Australia with ‘Valley To Pray’. The song peaked at no 102 in the USA.

America did give me a Top 20 in 1972 with ‘City of New Orleans’. The song reached no 18.

Arlo Guthrie also composed the Official Folk Song of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The song was adopted by the State’s Legislature in July 1981.

Follow Noise11 on Social Media

NEW: Noise11 on YouTube SUBSCRIBE

Noise11 on Instagram

You’ll discover music news first following Noise11 on Twitter

Comment on the news of the day, join Noise11 on Facebook

Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones image by Ros O'Gorman, Noise11, photo
Mick Jagger Launches His Signature Line of Harmonicas

Sir Mick Jagger has announced his own line of harmonicas.

Motorhead singer and bassist Lemmy Kilmister. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Motörhead Premiere Rarity ‘Greedy Bastards’

Motörhead have released the rarity ‘Greedy Bastards’, recorded for their final album ‘Bad Magic’ in 2015.

Stevie Nicks ADOTG at Rochford Winery on Saturday 18 November 2017. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Stevie Nicks Announces 14 Date US Tour

Stevie Nicks has announced a 14-date solo North America tour.

Aretha box set Aretha Franklin
Dumb Media Falls For Aretha Franklin Parody Story Hook Line And Sinker

How dumb are major media outlets who published a parody site post about an Aretha Franklin song as fact today. I’m looking at you Jonesy and Amanda on WSFM.

Eagles Melbourne 2019
Vince Gill Expected To Take On Extra Duties for Eagles Hotel California 2023 Tour

Eagles “new guys”, country superstar Vince Gill, is expected to absorb additional spotlight duties when Eagles ‘Hotel California’ tour resumes in Portland in February.

Elton John in Melbourne 14 Jan 23 photo by Jonathan White
Elton John Performs His Final Ever Australian Show In Brisbane

Elton John's Farewell Hello Brick Road tour has signed off for Australia with his final performance in Brisbane on Saturday. (21 January 2023).

Brian May of Queen performs at Rod Laver Arena on Friday 2 March 2018. Photo by Ros O'Gorman
Queen Launches Year Long ‘Greatest Live’ Series

Queen will premiere a Queen Live video every week for 2023 as part of the new ‘Queen The Greatest’ series on YouTube.