Australian radio network Triple J will release a US edition of the popular Like A Version album series.
The release mixes popular international acts like Mark Ronson and Mumford & Sons with emerging Australian artists like Meg Mac and San Cisco as well as major Australian artists known around the world like Tame Impala and Flume.
The only casualty in the compilation seems to be Canada’s City & Colour who have been yankified for the release with the ‘u’ removed to make them now City & Color.
A statement from Triple J explains:
Since 1975, triple j has grown from a Sydney radio station to a national network, and then to an international voice breaking new music from both Australia and the rest of the world. Like A Version is just one small part of what the station does. It started in 2005 as a simple covers segment, and the clever Madonna pun was to emphasise the fun that acts could have with a live cover version in our studios.
It wasn’t long before we all realised this wasn’t just a run-of- the-mill idea though. There was something a little more special about Like A Version. It stayed fun, but it also got a LOT bigger – it now sits in the station’s most popular time slot – during our Breakfast shift every Friday morning. To say it’s become a national institution is perhaps hyperbole. But we’ll say that and challenge you to prove us wrong.
Just about every Australian act has appeared on Like A Version. On the international front, we’ve had acts planning their trips here to make sure they could appear in our studios for Like A Version. Mark Ronson, alt-J, Lorde, The Kooks, Mumford & Sons, Chvrches, The Wombats, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Halsey, Childish Gambino… It’s a list that keeps growing. What you have here is just a small sample of covers we’ve hosted so far.
triple j is super proud of Like A Version and we’re now thrilled for the first time to share some of the great work the acts have done with you on the other side of the Pacific.
1.Tame Impala “Confide In Me” (Original by Kylie Minogue)
2. Flume “My Boo” (Ghost Town DJs)
3. Mark Ronson “I Sat By The Ocean” (Queens Of The Stone Age)
4. Chvrches “Do I Wanna Know” (Arctic Monkeys)
5. Chet Faker “(Lover) You Don’t Treat Me No Good” (Sonia Dada)
6. Ben Folds “Such Great Heights” (The Postal Service)
7. John Butler Trio “Happy” (Pharell Willams)
8. Meg Mac “Bridges” (Broods)
9. Bon Iver “Coming Down” (Anaiis Mitchell)
10. Mumford & Sons “Unfinished Business” (White Lies) 13. Broods “One Dance” (Drake)
14. Robert DeLong “The Mother We Share” (Chvrches)
15. James Vincent McMorrow “West Coast” (Lana Del Rey)
16. San Cisco “Get Lucky” (Daft Punk)
17. DMA’s “Believe” (Cher)
18. City & Color “Settle Down” (Kimbra)
19.The Jezabels “Don’t Stop Believing” (Journey)
20. Ásgeir “Stolen Dance” (Milky Chance)
21. Catfish & The Bottlemen “Read My Mind” (The Killers)